The Ohlone tribe settled the area in 2000 BCE, particularly in the northern part of Pleasanton. In 1772 CE, however, Spanish settlers involved with the nearby mission work at Mission San Jose strongly influenced the Ohlone way of life.
The area began to be developed when the Gold Rush ended. During this period, the area went from being marshland to agricultural.
The Tri-Valley is serviced by WHEELS, operated by LAVTA, formerly called Tri-Valley Transit, a bus agency that operates local bus service in addition to feeder service to Hacienda Business Park, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Las Positas College, Stoneridge Mall, and Dublin/Pleasanton BART station.
Two major highways, Interstates 580 and 680 cross the Tri-Valley area. Interstate 580 runs east-west, connecting the area to the Central Valley to the east and the North Bay area to the west. Interstate 680 runs north-south, connecting the area to the South Bay area in the south, and the Concord-Walnut Creek area in the north. The two interstates cross on the border of Dublin and Pleasanton.
The Tri-Valley area is also serviced by BART, offering service to the rest of the San Francisco Bay Area with two stops: West Dublin/Pleasanton and the Dublin/Pleasanton terminus station. The West Dublin/Pleasanton Station opened in 2011, and was the first infill station on an existing line. BART plans include eventually extending the line to Livermore.